Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Summer Box




The Summer Box

School is about to start and everyone is thinking about fashion, here I am not thinking about clothes but pondering about the hair that I'm going to rock. The biggest part of my dress routine is my hair. For the last few weeks I have been wondering what else can I wear (besides straight and curly) that I can rock to make my face pop.
For a person that always change styles, its hard to pick a style when you just about had them all. One day i was in deep thought and I had an epiphany. Maybe not an epiphany (just a wonderful thought).

Maybe I'll try some box braids. These braids had been around forever and glorified by alot of great people. To be honest the last time I can ever remember wearing these braids was when I was a country kid absolutely hating the way they felt on my head. Times have changed and hopefully so has my mind set.  Whats so great about the box? Easy maintenance! For someone that constantly have to wash and flat iron hair, the box may definitely be the road to take. How do I take care of them?




Length and Hygiene
While most of us love the long flowing locks that Janet Jackson once rocked, maybe the length is a little unnecessary. Especially for people with already strained hair. Before installing these braids, think about the condition of your hair. If you have weak hair, take time to strengthen your natural locks. If you don't you run the risk of permanently damaging your hair. Don't forget to clean, clean, clean! Washing your braids can take forever! Especially when drying! Take a damp cloth dipped in warm water and witch hazel to clean the parts of your scalp. Cleaning the hair will definitely keep down the bacteria. Experts recommend that you keep in no longer than 6 weeks while others have gone longer without the natural hair becoming entangled. Also be mindful of your hair line. Most people braid tight but make sure your edges are safe from pressure.

Moisture
Keeping your hair moisturized is definitely important during any styling of your hair. While moisturizing your hair be sure to use natural oils such as Shea Butter, Coconut oil and Almond oils. Massage the oil in your hair at least twice weekly. For a non-greasy residue you can also use a leave in conditioner for natural hair. Not moisturizing your hair could lead to shedding after your braids are removed.

Most people find it hard making a decision when it comes to hair. Some people choose styles based on convenience while others think cosmetic. Choosing styles for me has always been difficult. I love my hair (despite the many changes i put it through). I love my time to. This Summer I'm choosing to box it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment