Sunday, July 28, 2013

Resume 101: Getting the Job



The news talk about unemployment among college graduates but what about those who are still attending school? I am an upcoming Senior in college and have been looking for a job every since the end of my Sophomore year.
I've done a couple of internships and held a few jobs but this is the time in life to look for something more stable. After paying my tuition and looking at my rising student loan debts, I want to face unemployment head on. School is around the corner and I have already started my search. After doing a few resumes and not getting any call backs, I have been wondering why.

 On my resume I had listed many different jobs (I have experience in just about everything) and during the interview I've sold myself the best I could. What have I been missing? What can college students due to help offset unemployment rates?

The first thing I did was rewrite my resume. Being a Mass Communications major, just an ordinary resume wont get me considered for a job. Everything is becoming electronic so a paper resume is rarely used but what can I do to create a eye catching resume?

Grab their attention! Tell your future employer who you are. Be sure to include your name, address/phone numbers, email address and objective. The objective of the resume is optional. On my very first resume, the object was to basically state my personal goal in relation to my career.

Highlight your education. Include any institution that you have attended along with your degree obtained, year of graduation, certification and academic honors.

EXPERIENCE!!  Experience is a very important part of my resume. I am still completing college so I highlighted my experience. On my resume I have a section for my internships. my internships have been the highlight of my college career. They show that I have minimal experience in my area of study. List your most recent jobs first. I decided to become a journalist so I listed my Summer internship. Highlight your most impressive qualities. I wasn't sure how to do that so my blog is the most amazing aspect of writing. Be sure to include your related coursework (related to the job applying for).

Relevant Skills. Skills are important.  List any Computer Skills,related software, Foreign languages, and related training and certifications.

Show any extra curricular activities. Don't be afraid to show your softer side. Show any volunteer work and organizations List any titles you may have held and don't forget your academic achievements.

Do not forget to pay attention to detail . Your resume should not be longer than one page but if its longer make sure your information is located at the top of any additional pages. Proofread to make sure grammar, punctuation and spelling is correct. Really make sure your resume is easy to ready.

In college, we are taught many things except one important quality. Be confident! If you are called back for an interview, just relax. Its never bad to sell yourself. However, do not confuse cockiness with confidence, No one wants to invest time or money into someone who is incapable of learning. Each job, has something to offer.

HAPPY JOB HUNTING!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment