Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Helpful tips for aspiring journalists.

" Facts are a commodity. It is what you do with them that makes us different."- Fox

I think the most difficult part of being an aspiring journalist is wanting to become different from the rest. I mean we all want to share with the public. We all want to make every one see the "big Picture".
But how do we relay information in a way that will engage the community in our telecasts, blogs, or newspaper articles? While on my internship it was told to me, "it is what you do with facts that make them different". In a generation that uses Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites for just about everything we do have to stay connected to our targeted audience. We have to do allot to make what we are saying heard.  For those that want to become apart of the Multimedia arena, here are helpful tips that could get you kick started.

Think of the A, E, I, O, and U's of Journalism.
A- action
E- engage
I- inform
O-outrage
U-understanding
y- why? (why did this happen)

*These should be major components of a story. The idea is to get people to emotionally connect with what you are talking about.

Also be sure to find out the summary of the story (look for supporting facts). When writing or telling the story, do so in a way that will grab the attention of your audience.


*Do not forget the Who, What, When, Where, Why's and How's of story! This is helpful with dissecting information and writing facts that you have gathered.

So far for me, this stage of learning how to be a journalist is hard. The main idea is to report things that others care about but also making them care about  important stories that they feel may not be interesting at all. While learning how to be an effective writer is hard work, I am enjoying what I'm doing. my coworkers at my internship are really helping me become the future best reporter, anchor, producer I can be. I would suggest to anyone find an internship. Get a feel for what you want to do. Determine if you really like it. Overall I think I found my niche.

No comments:

Post a Comment