Monday, April 7, 2014

Evaluating life and Student spending


The time has come to be evaluating my after college plans. As an upcoming graduate of Lander University, my classmates and I hadn’t even began to look at the monetary monster that would be crippling our lives for the next 10 years or so. All the adults around me frequently tell me how lucky I am and that I should pursue the extra challenge by going to graduate school. Truly I am blessed, but I realized most of my monetary blessings would be forcefully donated to Uncle Sam, because he was very kind in lending me my money to further my education.

After many sleepless nights and annoyed mornings, I sit and wonder what comes after college. Adults always told us growing up that we could be whatever we want in life if we applied our minds. They never told us that our dreams came with such a hefty price tag. Deep in my heart, I believed that this as well as other things was mythological and that my life was bound to me living as an average Josephine. Now I wonder, how can I instill in others the hopes of being successful, if my own dreams are dampened and sour?

Although, the last four years of my life had been difficult, I remember my grandmother embracing me tightly and saying she was proud of me because she knew that I wanted and would accomplish so much of what I wanted in life. Here I am wallowing in self pity because of a few bumps I’ve come crossed along the way. My nights were filled with agony and my cloudy days were masked by fake smiles and false hopes.

The point is my troubles began with the idea of financing college. Coming from a background that isn’t as rich as others, I felt like school wasn’t made for me. Instead it was made for the students with flashy clothes and hefty pocketbooks. Sad to say, I’m not the only student facing an economic crisis. Who knew that being all you could be came with a price tag? Even though school has been the arch nemesis of my existence (financial purposes), I am grateful for the experience that it has bought me.

School has allowed me to sample all subjects. I didn’t come to school to get a feel of life without my parents, but I was able to gain knowledge in various subjects and apply them to my passion for education. So, instead of frequently burdening others with my complaints, I give thanks for the opportunity that many people consistently struggle to afford.

During the economic crisis, everyone knows of someone in need of some financial blessings. That blessing for equals the ability to supply extra finances to finish my educational journey. Upon entering college, we (students) were given a figurative student loan credit card, with a set-spending limit. However, for students like me, that’s not enough because little aid but maximum loan borrowing has funded my entire education.

Many students will be without the opportunity to go to school. Many people have to make a life the best way they can. As I learned in life, many things occur. Many clouds arise, some predicted and others unexpected. But with cherishing the moment, managing our pockets and being thankful for the good/bad, we can discover that the good days will out number the bad. We will soon learn that success isn’t a thing of the past, for some of us it takes a stronger determination and greater frame of mind because nothing is impossible to achieve no matter what the hardships.

To the students out there in a similar financial struggle, keep your head up. Despite the 1.2 trillion dollars we owe in student loans, it is our genius minds that will some day rule the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment